Monday, February 18, 2008

Thoughts of the day

Well another day has come and gone. I'm in the mood to watch a movie, but that's nothing new to me. I decided to write a quick entry before I go about the rest of my evening.

As I was sitting in my physical geography class this morning I had a thought come to mind. I've been known to change my mind a lot, and I don't see why this idea should be any different. I had a thought of what I might want to major in. Now I know people change majors all the time and that's its perfectly okay, I am aware of this. However, I thought this one through and I may have some potential in this field. I've been telling myself the last month or two that I want to travel and help others in far away places, but that costs money and a ton of time on my part. Not that I'm not willing to give up my time to help others, if I could travel and help out I would do it. Going to Africa is one of my goals right now...I really really REALLY want to go! But I fear that my mom wouldn't like that idea. My dad would probably ask a dozen questions then give me a kiss and a hug and say good luck, but Mom, I dunno about. She's always said that she would love to go see certain places around the world, I mean who doesn't, but just once I'd like to take her somewhere, ANYWHERE. I understand living on a farm gives one limited time to travel and do the things that others are fortunate enough to do in a lifetime. But she got to go to Colorado two years ago with my brothers and sister, I didn't go because I had to stay behind and help my dad on the farm. I was totally bummed, but I had got to go to Orlando the previous summer or the summer before, but whatever I can see how that's fair. However, I'm older now and I have a better appreciation for certain things, or I think so anyway. She's wanted to go to the field in Pennsylvania where flight 93 crashed ever since she saw the movie, and I would love to spend a week in the summer going there with her, but she probably wouldn't do it. I know that time is an issue, but we're not getting any younger and who knows what tomorrow will bring. I guess in a way I seem rather, greedy, is that what I'm feeling? I'm not sure, but I would love to take a mother daughter vacation with her and my older sister someday.

NOW, back to my idea. I thought of majoring in Elementary Education maybe between 3rd-5th grade. I've always been really good with kids. I worked at a daycare, I baby-sat a lot growing up, and I was in boomerang in high school-a program that goes around to middle schools and teaches 5th graders the six pilars of character. I guess with all my experience with kids I tried to avoid them, but now that I realize I'm good with them, maybe that's my calling. I'm just kinda touching the topic but it's and idea nonetheless. I was pretty excited when I thought of it. My best friend is going to school for Elem. Ed. after switching from Animal Science. I was shocked but it fits her perfectly and she loves her job tutoring kids. I'm going to try and find an organization on campus or a program in town that maybe I could get involved in that would be a good experience/job to get me more knowledgeable about the subject. I'm pretty excited and wanted to share my news!

Anyway, before I watch my movie..hehehe...I have to figure out what to write my informative speech on for my oral comm. class. I have a few ideas but still not real sure. I was thinking maybe childhood obesity/nutrition at school. Just an idea. I have the rest of the night to figure it out. Ugh...school is SO not my cup of tea. All well...I'll live : )

2 comments:

Jen said...

It's good that you are recognizing what you like and are good at. It takes some people years to try to decipher what exacly they excel in.

I know what you mean about school demands... Calculus is whispering in my ear, "If you don't do your homework, you are going to fail..."

Jeannelle said...

Oh, my goodness, daughter.....I just wrote a long post about the Colorado trip. I had not read your post before doing that. Go read it. But, I'm sorry that I didn't mention that you stayed home to do chores.

So you would like to take a mother-daughter vacation sometime? That sounds fun!